ACC Coaches Committee Call Minutes
September 10, 2008 12 pm (EST)
The meeting was called to order at 12:00 p.m. (EST) by Karen Weatherington.
1. Updates from the Chair
- Welcome to the new members of the ACC:
- o Stacy Barnett - American East, Ada Bezin - Colonial, Joseph Goodson, Horizon League, Eric Hammond - MEAC, Sarah Chlebana - Big Sky
- Welcome to Leah Brock (Communications Manager at the AVCA), who is the new liason to the ACC
- Updates from the AVCA
- o New Website- The AVCA is transitioning to a new website. If you have not already used the new log-in, please make sure to do so. The website will be completed by next week
- o New Hire- The AVCA has hired Amanda Brungs,who will work with memberships.
- o Convention registration is now available online. The host hotel, the Hilton, is filling up quickly. New events at teh convention will include a silent auction and a Texas Hold'em tournament. There will also be a Underarmour HS All-American Match that will occur after the Talent Showcase on the Sunday of the convention. The NCAA has granted an exception for coaches to attend the event.
- o Assistant Coaches meeting at Convention- Karen has requested a larger room from the AVCA for the Assistant Coach meeting. We encourage all Assistants to attend the meeting.
- o The Minority Coaches clinic will be held in conjuction with the event. Minority women coaches who are attending the event for the first time are eligible for a scholarship for travel and stipend.
- o Demonstrators- The AVCA is in need of 12 more demonstrators. Any demonstrators will receive half off the convention registration. Contact Jason Jones or Will Engle with any questions regarding the convention.
- o Web Seminars- AVCA has web seminars on the website that are available under the Coaching Education section.
- o 30 under 30 Award- 30 under 30, is for coaches who will be under the age of 30 through 2009. You can make your nominations online.
2. Legislative updates
- Awards- There is a proposal to change the way the AVCA awards are given. This will not change the Regional rankings, but just the awards. Please discuss the proposal with your head coaches.
- 13th Scholarship- The PAC 10 has submitted a proposal along with the Horizon League and the WAC for the 13th scholarship. Karen will include more information about this proposal 2008-40.
- Sand volleyball- It has been added to the list of Emerging sports. You will receive updates from the AVCA at the Net on this issue.
- Assistant Coaches Survey- We hope to have the data collected to present the information at the convention. Please encourage your conferences to complete the survey if they have not done so.
- Recruiting Task Force- Please feel free to give feedback on this year's recruiting cycle to the members of the Recruiting Task Force.
4. New Business
- Mentor program- The ACC is hoping to begin a new Mentor program for coaches on the AVCA Website. This program will give new coaches to our profession a resource for different areas of coaching.
- New members of the ACC: Please send the minutes to all of the assistant coaches in your conference.
- The next Assistant Coach Committee call will be October 8th at 12 NOON EST.
5. Roll call
Not represented on the call: Conference USA, ACC, West Coast Conference