December 18, 2008
Division II Head Coaches Committee Conference Call Minutes
December 18, 2008 * 8 a.m. CT *
Meeting Called to Order: 8:05 a.m. CT
I. Welcome. (Cody)
Cody began the meeting by welcoming everyone and thanked the HCC for taking the time out of their busy schedules to participate in the meeting.
A. AVCA Board Report (Cody)
Cody gave a brief update on the AVCA Board Report, which took place the previous day at the convention. This included:
1. With the slowing economy, it was a tough financial year for the AVCA.
2. 13th Scholarship Update - The 13th scholarship proposal was tabled by the NCAA, along with all other pending proposals. The NCAA has decided to research and evaluate funding for all programs across the board.
3. Sand Volleyball - The NCAA received 12 letters of endorsement from NCAA member institutions proposing the addition of sand volleyball as a sport. The legislation will be voted on by Division I/Division II in January. There was a lot of discussion on running sand tournaments and finding accommodating facilities. Other discussion included the timing of the season, school funding and uniforms.
4. A reminder to all coaches that the inaugural Under Armour High School All-America match will take place on the final day of the convention, Sunday, January 21st in the Qwest Center. All coaches attending the convention can show their badges for admittance; for additional ticket purchase, interested individuals can visit the Qwest Center box office. Please show your support in this first annual event, as it will be televised by ESPNU.
5. Membership and convention reports and numbers
6. Discussion of Head Coach Committee representation and rotations
B. Items for Discussion
1. The committee discussed its interest in having a Division II representative on the AVCA Hall of Fame (HOF) Committee
2. The committee had several questions regarding the format and process of regional rankings provided by the NCAA
* strength of schedule number
* The committee determined it would be helpful for this information to be made public to help gain understanding in the matter.
3. The committee also discussed the timing of the Division II All-America press release. The closeness to the actual date of the banquet needs to be evaluated, as travel arrangements for honored athletes are hard to secure.
1. Cody reminded the committee of the general Division II meeting at the convention, which will take place at 12:30 p.m. on Friday, December 19.
2. Cody also reminded the committee that there would be several Division II conference meetings taking place at the convention.
3. It was also suggested in closing that the AVCA look at revamping its Division II poll voter constituency.
Meeting adjourned: 9:25 a.m.