March 18, 2009
ACC Coaches Committee Call Minutes
March 18, 2009 12 pm (EST)
The meeting was called to order at 12:00 p.m. (EST) by AVCA ACC liasion Leah Brock.
1. Interim Chair Report and AVCA News
- The AVCA is hosting an AVCA Spring Conference on May 7-9th called 21st Century Coaching Skills. It will be held during the Men's Final Four in Provo, UT. Speakers will include Carl McGown,Terry Pettit, Mary Wise, and Beth Launiere.
- The JVDA Championships for juniors will be held in Louisville, KY June 27-30, 2009. The AVCA and JVDA will be teaming up to host a Talent Showcase during the JVDA Championships as well, which will take place on Friday, June 26.
- The AVCA is starting a new Camp Affiliation membership. Collegiate camps can build in an AVCA membership into their camp for club or high school coaches working the camps. The membership fee will be $50, which is a $15 discount. Any collegiate coaches interested in adding the membership option to their camps, can contact the AVCA.
- The AVCA is also beginning a Student Membership for college students who are interested in pursuing a career as a volleyball coach. The price for this membership will be $40. Please contact the AVCA for more information.
- If you are intersted in presenting at the 2009 AVCA Annual Convention in Tampa, Fla., please visit the AVCA website (www.AVCA.org), download the speaker request form and return it to the AVCA.
- Be sure to keep up with the AVCA on the social networking sites Facebook and Twitter!
- Select sessions from the '07 and '08 AVCA Annual Conventions are available for purchase through the AVCA Product Store. http://www.avca.org/publication-shopping/
2. Assistant Coach Salary Survey
- Sarah Bernson has been working to collect the surveys and interpret the results. Sarah noted that she has very little representation from several confererences and also noted that some surveys did not have complete information, which she fears could skew the results.
- Any assistants who did not fill out the survery are urged to do so as soon as possible to make sure the results are accurate. New surveys can be sent to Sarah Bernson. Any questions or concerns can be directed to Sarah or ACC liasion Leah Brock.
3. Assistant Coach Award
- Jill Wilson gave an update to the committe about the progress of the AVCA Assistant Coach Awards program.
- Jill had a call with with ACC liaison Leah Brock and AVCA Awards representatives Ashley Beil and Amanda Brungs to set a foundation for the awards program.
- It was decided that, as a new program, it would be best to start with a nationalized award for each of the Divisions (NCAA I, II, III, NAIA, Two-Year, NCAA DI-II Men, NCAA DIII Men), with hopes of growing the membership numbers in each area to the point of forming regionalized awards, in addition to the national award, in the future.
- Jill worked with a sub-committee of ACC members to come up with criteria for the award, which the AVCA will adopt when implementing the policy.
- The Assistant Coach award will be put in front of the AVCA Board of Directors for approval, and Jill the committee will continue to work with the AVCA to finalize the award and award process.
4. Sand Volleyball Update
- AVCA Executive Director, Kathy DeBoer, was on hand to discuss the progess of Sand Volleyball as a NCAA emerging sport. In Division II, the vote was approved with 95% in favor and will now move forward into the legislative and rules making processes at the NCAA. ACC members can view a draft of the proposed DII sand volleyball playing rules, seasons and legislation by looking at the DII HCC minutes page on the AVCA website.
- For Division I, sand volleyball was passed in the first vote, and adhering to NCAA policy, a second vote will take place April 21-22, where it is expected to pass again. From there, legislation for the sport will begin to be drafted. Further updates will continue to be delivered to the ACC on future calls.
5. New Business
- Kathy DeBoer noted that the most recent EADA report was published in the most recent At the Net, and encouraged the committee to check it out. The EADA report is a means of looking at gender compliance in colleigiate athletics. Kathy noted that the recession that the country is facing is real...several schools have already begun cutting volleyball programs. Kathy encouraged the ACC to be proactive and form a sub-committee to brainstorm ideas of cutting costs within their respective program budgets, with an emphasis on the recruiting budget. Leah will organize the sub-committee and schedule a conference call where the coaches can discuss their ideas. Anyone interested in volunteering for this project, please contact Leah.
- Michelle Chatman, Assistant Coach at Central Florida will be serving as the new Associate Chair for the Committee.
- New members of the ACC: Please send the minutes to all of the assistant coaches in your conference.
- The next Assistant Coach Committee call will be April 8, 2009 @ NOON EST.
6. Roll Call
Not represented on the call:
Atlantic 10, , Big 12, Horizon, Metro Atlantic, Missouri Valley, Ohio Valley, Pac-10, Patriot, Southwestern, WAC