September 9, 2009
1:00 p.m. ET
I. ROLL CALL
Chair: Brenda Williams, Olivet Nazarene
Present on the call: Jhett Albers (Dakota), Jon Campbell (Gulf Coast), Ryan DeLong (Midwest), Reed Duffus (California Pacific), Tim Edfors (Sun), Nick Griffin (Mid-South), Bob Heersema (Chicagoland), Todd Humphry (TranSouth), Kevin Kitchen (American Mideast), Stew McDole (Recognition Comm.), Katy Meyer (Independent), Candace Moats (Mid-Central), Anna Monsen (Sooner), Rick Pruett (GPAC), Derek Schmitt (Southern States), Aaron Seltzer (Golden State), Nathalea Stephenson (Kansas), Kyle Van Den Bosch (Great Plains), Mary Whitehead (Heart of America), Will Engle (AVCA Staff liaison), Ruth Stein (NAIA Office)
Absent on the call: Matt Buttermore (Asst. Coaches), Christy Clawson (Red River), Kim Norman (Frontier), Leo Sayles (Appalachian) (excused), Trish Siedlik (Midlands), Krista Solberg (Wolverine-Hoosier) (excused), Angela Stewart (Cascade), John Yehling (American Midwest/Men's).
Committee Chair: Brenda Williams
Welcome to new committee members Nick Griffin at Georgetown and Rick Pruett from Morningside. Hopefully by the end of the week all conferences will be represented.
III. AVCA Update
AVCA Staff: Will Engle
- Check out the convention preview in the Aug./Sept. edition of Coaching Volleyball, as well as the AVCA Convention Web site, www.avca.org/tampaconvention09, for an inside look at what is shaping up to be one of the best conventions yet.
- Convention registration opened Wednesday, August 19. Headquarters hotel is the Tampa Marriott Waterside, cost is $135 for single and $145 for double. AVCA also has room blocks at the Westin Harbour Island ($119 for single/double) and Howard Johnson Plaza ($99 for single/double). Registration and hotel links can be found on the AVCA Convention Web site.
- The AVCA understands this is a difficult budget year so in addition to the hotel discounts available for the convention the AVCA has also negotiated discounts with several transportation providers for the convention including Northwest, Continental and American on airfare, Hertz and Avis on rental cars and SuperShuttle for transportation to and from the airport. Also new this year, the AVCA has contracted with a company called SpaceShare to assist coaches with finding hotel roommates as well as assist in finding other coaches to share ground transportation. Information on the hotel and transportation discounts as well as the SpaceShare program can be found on the AVCA Convention Web site.
- The Pre-Convention Seminar this year will be "Mastering the Art of Volleyball Recruiting" led by recruiting expert Dan Tudor. The session will be held from 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday, December 16. Topics covered will include what the millennial generation wants and why it should matter to you, the seven mistakes you might be making, spiking your prospect's objections every time and the seven secrets to successful recruiting. If you are talking with high school and club coaches please let them know there will be information included in this session on how to get your student-athletes recruited on a more consistent basis and how to attract players to your local program. More information is available on the AVCA Convention Web site.
- The AVCA Golf Tournament will be held on Wednesday, December 16 at Bay Palms Golf Course in Tampa. The bus will depart at 7 a.m. from Marriott Waterside and will return approximately 2 p.m. The golf tournament includes green fees, cart, warm-up range, transportation to/from the golf course and a buffet lunch. Participants can choose to form their own team or be placed on a team by the AVCA. Prizes will be awarded for winning teams, longest drive and closest to the pin. More information can be found on the AVCA Convention Web site.
- Two types of scholarships for the Convention - Minority Coaches and Student Membership. Student Membership is a new, electronic-only membership available to students who are interested in the volleyball coaching profession; several scholarship to the AVCA Convention will be awarded this year out of that new membership. Also, ten scholarships to the AVCA Convention will be available to minority coaches this year. More information on the Student Membership on the AVCA Web site under "Membership", and information on the Minority Coaches Workshop and scholarship on the AVCA Convention Web site.
- AVCA is looking for demonstrators for the AVCA Convention. Participants will receive ½ off convention registration, in the form of a rebate at the end of convention. Slots will be filled on a first-come, first-serve basis. Form can be found on the AVCA Convention Web site under Registration & Travel; Volunteer Opportunities.
- Thirty Under 30 award nominations open Monday, August 17, and run through Oct. 2. Must turn 30 after Dec. 31, 2010 to be eligible for the award. Winners will be announced in the Feb./March issue of Coaching Volleyball. Go to the AVCA Web site for more information, under "Awards".
IV. NAIA UPDATE
Committee Chair: Brenda Williams
Make sure you're reading your volleyball manual, which will be online beginning next week. All 2009 deadlines are located in the manual. Volleyball manual now available on the NAIA Web site. Libero tracking form is different in this year's manual.
Webcasting: Brenda Williams/Will Engle
Brenda noted that Kim Norman will no longer be head of the webcasting sub-committee. Will indicated that AVCA has been working with Dave Parsons at Mount Vernon Nazarene to go through sports information directors to get a quantitative list of webcast matches for NAIA to add to the AVCA's list of webcast matches on its Web site. Check the list, www.avca.org/divisions/webcast-matches, and if your school's or someone else's school that you know of is webcasting and is not on the list, please contact the AVCA to have it added.
Stat Education: Todd Humphry
Met with coaches in conference a couple of months ago and went over stats with everyone in attendance. Todd felt as though stat-keeping has improved year-over-year thanks to the education. He also indicated that they have employed former volleyball players to keep the stats, which has helped with improving the stat-keeping. Todd and Ruth Stein recounted how important it is to keep accurate stats and for stat-keeping education. There was also some discussion on StatCrew and DakStats, box scores and what is required for postseason recognition.
Recognition: Stew McDole
Recognition committee will review the regions and make sure they make sense. Also, a big issue in front of the committee is to find conference reps for awards at the NAIA/AVCA regional level. Ruth Stein confirmed that All-Conference Teams may expand to up to 14 since the NAIA All-America Teams are now at 14.
Competition Committee: Ruth Stein
For the National Championship, Ruth has been working with host and Competition Committee regarding schedule, moving it to later in the day, and trying to give teams more rest. The new schedule has been posted on Championship Quick Facts. A new "no profanity" policy is being put into place; working with officials' associations. A new "ejection policy" stipulates that first ejection - sit one match; two ejections - sit two matches; third match, done for the season. Also some changes on opening round hosting - opening round manual has been posted online. Game management manual will be posted online, and is geared towards administrators. Champions of Character online course is now available and every coach must take the course by July 2010.
Next Call is scheduled for Wednesday, October 14, 2009 at 1:00 p.m. ET.
Call adjourned 1:48 pm (ET)