October 14, 2009
1:00 p.m. ET
I. ROLL CALL
Chair: Brenda Williams, Olivet Nazarene
Present on the call: Jhett Albers (Dakota), Matt Buttermore (Asst. Coaches), Christy Clawson (Red River), Nick Griffin (Mid-South), Kevin Kitchen (American Mideast), Katy Meyer (Independent), Anna Monsen (Sooner), Kim Norman (Frontier), Rick Pruett (GPAC), Nathalea Stephenson (Kansas), Trish Siedlik (Midlands), Krista Solberg (Wolverine-Hoosier),Angela Stewart (Cascade), Mary Whitehead (Heart of America), Will Engle (AVCA Staff liaison), Ruth Stein (NAIA Office), Tori Bartels (Southern States - sitting in for Derek Schmitt- Southern States), Reed Duffus (Cal Pac)
Absent on the call: Jon Campbell (Gulf Coast) (excused), Ryan DeLong (Midwest), Tim Edfors (Sun), Bob Heersema (Chicagoland) (excused), Todd Humphry (TranSouth), Stew McDole (Recognition Comm.) (excused), Candace Moats (Mid-Central), Leo Sayles (Appalachian) (excused), Derek Schmitt (Southern States), Rochelle Short (GSAC), John Yehling (American Midwest/Men's)
Committee Chair: Brenda Williams
Welcome to Rochelle Short from the GSAC. We still need a rep from the Kentucky Intercollegiate Conference. Rochelle is not on the call but has been getting updates, will fill in for this year for the GSAC.
III. AVCA Update
AVCA Staff: Will Engle
- Convention registration opened Wednesday, August 19, and early-bird deadline is November 6. Headquarters hotel is the Tampa Marriott Waterside, cost is $135 for single and $145 for double. AVCA also has room blocks at the Westin Harbour Island ($119 for single/double) and Howard Johnson Plaza ($99 for single/double). Registration and hotel links can be found on the AVCA Convention Web site.
- The AVCA understands this is a difficult budget year so in addition to the hotel discounts available for the convention the AVCA has also negotiated discounts with several transportation providers for the convention including Northwest, Continental and American on airfare, Hertz and Avis on rental cars and SuperShuttle for transportation to and from the airport. Also new this year, the AVCA has contracted with a company called SpaceShare to assist coaches with finding hotel roommates as well as assist in finding other coaches to share ground transportation. Information on the hotel and transportation discounts as well as the SpaceShare program can be found on the AVCA Convention Web site.
- The Pre-Convention Seminar this year will be "Mastering the Art of Volleyball Recruiting" led by recruiting expert Dan Tudor. The session will be held from 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday, December 16. Topics covered will include what the millennial generation wants and why it should matter to you, the seven mistakes you might be making, spiking your prospect's objections every time and the seven secrets to successful recruiting. If you are talking with high school and club coaches please let them know there will be information included in this session on how to get your student-athletes recruited on a more consistent basis and how to attract players to your local program. More information is available on the AVCA Convention Web site.
- Two types of scholarships for the Convention - Minority Coaches and Student Membership. Student Membership is a new, electronic-only membership available to students who are interested in the volleyball coaching profession; several scholarship to the AVCA Convention will be awarded this year out of that new membership. Also, ten scholarships to the AVCA Convention will be available to minority coaches this year. More information on the Student Membership on the AVCA Web site under "Membership", and information on the Minority Coaches Workshop and scholarship on the AVCA Convention Web site. Deadline to apply for both scholarships is October 16!
- AVCA is looking for demonstrators for the AVCA Convention. Participants will receive ½ off convention registration, in the form of a rebate at the end of convention. Slots will be filled on a first-come, first-serve basis. Form can be found on the AVCA Convention Web site under Registration & Travel; Volunteer Opportunities. Deadline to apply is October 16!
IV. NAIA Office Update
NAIA Headquarters Staff: Ruth Stein
Meeting times for AVCA Convention: Schedule is posted on AVCA Web site; Wednesday - VCA officers meeting, then Ratings Committee; Thursday - HCC 9-10:30; Recognition committee, competition committee and roundtable session in the afternoon. Friday morning - General Meeting.
Eligibility will be centralized through a national center beginning with the 2011-12 academic year. Will begin taking applications a year prior. When putting rosters in DakStats, hometown information needs to be included so as to build relationships in the appropriate places for the eligibility center.
Opening round bids - Go to NAIA Web site, volleyball, coaches corner.
Membership: Christy Clawson
Remind your coaches that they need to renew or begin their membership in the AVCA.
Webcasting: Brenda Williams/Ruth Stein
Link off the NAIA Web site to matches being webcast in the NAIA. National office, with the help of their sports information department, is having some conversations about how to get NAIA schools producing high quality webcast matches.
Recognition: Ruth Stein
National office is starting to see some programs that are not getting stats reports in; if you miss a certain number of reports, you become ineligible for ratings. Also, make sure each region has a representative for AVCA recognition.
Assistant Coaches: Matt Buttermore
Sand Volleyball was talked about on the Assistant Coaches call last week; how it's on the Emerging Sports List and will be up for vote this January; Matt recapped the points Kathy DeBoer gave the coaches on that call of why the time is now to add sand volleyball as a sport.
Committee Chair: Brenda Williams
Remind your conference coaches of their AVCA memberships, their Scholar Athlete requirements and forms that will be due, and to have all their coaches complete their Champions of Character course online on the NAIA website.
VII. NEW BUSINESS
Committee Chair: Brenda Williams
Katy Meyer of Embry-Riddle will be taking over as HCC chair following the December AVCA Convention. Katy will be attending the AVCA Board of Directors meeting with Brenda as a guest to learn the ropes - look for Katy to ask for your help in helping develop our NAIA promotional initiative to the high schools and club teams.
Please let us know by the next call who is coming to Tampa, so that we can get accurate numbers for planning.
Next Call is scheduled for Wednesday, November 11, 2009 at 1:00 p.m. ET.
Call adjourned 1:43 pm (ET)