Tuesday, March 19, 2002
AVCA Men's Coaches Committee Conference Call
March 19, 2002 - 12:30 p.m. ET
Present: Joe Wortmann, Doug Beal, Sean Byron, Jack Coberly, John Hutton, Ron Larsen, Ryan Patton, Joel Walton, Jenifer Scheibler
A. YES Clinics at NCAA Men's Championship.
1. Joe indicated that a YES Clinic was not planned for the 2002 men's championship.
2. The committee discussed ideas to ensure that YES Clinics were again held in conjunction with the men's championship.
3. Jenifer will talk with National Youth Sports Corporation staff to determine why men's volleyball wasn't on the list for 2001-02 YES Clinics and what can be done to bring the YES Clinic back to men's volleyball. She will report to Joe, who will then determine how to follow-up.
B. Coaching Clinic at the 2002 NCAA Men's Championship.
1. Based on a combination of factors, the committee decided not to hold a men's coaches clinic at the 2002 NCAA Men's Volleyball Championship.
2. Ideas, including prior planning, promotional efforts and contact with the host institution, were discussed to pave the way for the possibility of a clinic in 2003.
C. Feedback on holding men's conference meetings at the AVCA Convention.
1. Committee members reported results of informal polling to determine the interest men's coaches had in holding conference meetings at the AVCA Convention in December. The primary issue preventing some conferences from doing so is cost related.
2. The discussion turned to possibilities for meetings to be held when a majority of men's coaches were already present. A popular idea was to hold a men's meeting in conjunction with the Junior Olympic Tournament slated for July 3-8 in Louisville, Ky.
D. AVCA Men's Committee representative on the AVCA Legislative Committee.
Joe relayed a request from Jim Bertoli that a committee member represent the AVCA Men's Committee on the AVCA Legislative Committee. Interested parties are to contact Joe.
E. Discussion of AVCA stance on NWF legal challenge to Title IX.
Joe entertained discussion regarding the National Wrestling Federation's legal challenge to the interpretation of Title IX in regards to collegiate athletics. Discussion ensued.
F. Junior Olympics and recruiting.
1. Joe proposed the idea of holding a panel in conjunction with the Junior Olympic Tournament to educate parents and coaches on the nuances of recruiting. Members of the panel could included an NCAA Membership Service representative and coaches from each Division. The committee agreed this was a good idea, and Joe is moving forward with it.
2. Jenifer will assist in securing an NCAA representative and mentioned that Ed Garrett had recently published a book on the topic of recruiting that covers all current rules for the NCAA, NAIA and NJCAA.
The next conference call is scheduled for Tuesday, March 19 at 1:30 p.m. ET.
The meeting adjourned at 1:20 p.m. ET