Wednesday, January 13, 2010
DI Head Coaches Committee
Wednesday, Jan. 13, 2010
1. Discuss terms of committee members
- Ross will send out an email asking how many years you have been on committee. Are you interested in continuing on the committee? Who would you recommend replacing you or does your conference have a replacement format in place? Please send the information back to him as soon as possible.
2. Best practices for getting info to the full membership?
- We have had a continual problem with getting information to all members. We discussed as a board that it may be best for Mark as chair to send all minutes and bullets to all Division I coaches following the call? Does anyone have a problem with this? Concerns? Silence and one comment in favor of the process.
3. NCAA Conventions Issues being voted on:
A. Sand Volleyball Override - Friday at 3:30
B. Non-Traditional Season Competition, coming up this week at NCAA Convention. WCC is against, Big East is against, Ivy League is voting against, Big Ten is against; Missouri Valley is against, Southland Conference is against, Big South is against, Summit League is also against.
a. Chris, ACC - Discussed vote for getting rid of any camps or clinics outside of 100 miles? Does anyone know anything about this? TJ - don't know about that for volleyball. Only camp issue is what we have out there. Chris, 2009-51-A basketball only and B is for all sports. Voted on preliminary by conference and then at convention. Cannot run any camps/clinics outside of 100 miles from your campus. This would eliminate a lot of revenue from satellite camps. All coaches at our institution were against it but ACC voted in favor 9-2. You could work at other camps, but cannot run your own. TJ - Chris looks exactly right. Looks at eliminating satellite camps. Can't get a barometer on this. Looking at it from a recruiting standpoint and the larger schools who are exploiting it. Would not allow the University of Houston to run a satellite camp in Dallas but would allow a coach to work a high school camp or other camp.
4. Recruiting Task Force Update
- Erin - We are in stage 4 of the operating code. 3 of our 4 issues came back with enough support to move forward to an initial vote in late February. TJ we used the fall vote to see what was relevant and will use the spring vote to determine the stance of the organization. Ross - the comment period will run through the end of February and then we will send out an email with all comments received and call for a vote of all members.
5. AVCA Update (Ross Brown)
- Thank you to everyone who attended the AVCA Convention in Tampa. It was the largest event AVCA has ever had.
- The next AVCA Talent Showcase will be on Thursday, April 1, 2010 in New Orleans, LA. We will run two waves broken into classes starting at 4:30 pm and finishing around 9:30 pm. The showcase will be the day before the JVA World Challenge.
- The AVCA Spring Conference will be held May 6-8 in Palo Alto, CA. More information regarding educational sessions and the schedule will be available in early February.
6. Next committee call, Wednesday, February 3, 2010