April 7, 2010
Committee Chair: Katy Meyer
II. ROLL CALL
Chair: Katy Meyer, Embry-Riddle
Present on the call: Mary Whitehead (Heart of America), Kirsta Solberg (Wolverine-Hoosier), Christy Mooberry (Appalachian), John Yehling (American Midwest/Men's), Reed Duffus (Cal Pac), Nathalea Stephenson (Kansas), Stew McDole (Recognition Comm.), Rochelle Short (GSAC), Christy Clawson (Red River), Tori Bartels (Southern States), Jon Campbell (Gulf Coast), Anna Monsen Howle (Sooner), Jill Rokosik (Chicagoland), Ryan DeLong (Midwest), Kristy Kamer (Mid-South), Ruth Stein (NAIA Office), Will Engle (AVCA Staff liaison),
Absent on the call: Kim Norman (Frontier), Matt Buttermore (Asst. Coaches), Mark Perisi (American Mideast), Rick Pruett (GPAC), Trish Siedlik (Midlands), Mike Gibson (Competition Comm.), Jhett Albers (Dakota), Todd Humphry (TranSouth), Melissa Batie (Sun), Candace Moats (Mid-Central), NO REP (Cascade), NO REP (Kentucky)
III. AVCA UPDATE
AVCA Staff: Will Engle
- The deadline for early-bird registration for the 2010 AVCA Spring Conference has now passed, but registration online is still open through April 16. The conference will be May 6-8 in Palo Alto, California at Stanford University. More information can be found at www.avca.org/springconference2010.
- The 2010 NCSA/AVCA Spring Girls' Talent Showcase was held April 1 in New Orleans, in conjunction with the Allstate Sugar Bowl JVA World Volleyball Challenge. Over 140 athletes participated.
- AVCA is accepting submissions of video drills for its Volleyball Ace Power Tips newsletter. In an effort to "upgrade" or "change" the newsletter, AVCA would like to begin using digital drills in addition to drills that are only on paper. If you are interested in participating, contact Leah Brock at firstname.lastname@example.org. This is a good opportunity to get involved, and to help get your institution's and the NAIA's name out.
IV. NAIA Update
NAIA Headquarters: Ruth Stein
- This week begins NAIA Annual Convention beginning tomorrow through April 12 in Cincinnati. Will be reviewing new bylaws at the members' meeting at the end of the convention.
- The NAIA is in process of producing a new video spot, and should be done shortly; will be posted on YouTube and DVD will be available. Can be used as a recruiting tool to promote NAIA.
- NAIA is working to be better integrated in social media tools such as Twitter and Facebook; that presence will continue to expand in the coming months.
V. COMMITTEE UPDATES
Recognition: Stew McDole
At the point qualification outline is completed, Recognition Committee will make preliminary suggestion for breaking up of regions for equitable access for region recognition across the country.
Membership: Christy Clawson
Two-for-one assistant coach promotion still available through June. See AVCA website for more details.
Sand Volleyball: Christy Clawson
Several clubs in the area have started sand programs. Katy - in Arizona, there is a local advocate for beach volleyball, and Arizona State is running their second annual beach volleyball tournament. Definitely stuff going on at the club level, and interest is rising among players. Stew - critical that we keep up with what's going on in NCAA, especially at DII and DIII levels. Could eventually become a recruiting issue for NAIA once beach becomes an option for players, especially for DII and DIII programs. The hope is that it will eventually become a different set of athletes, but it may not start out that way.
VI. OTHER CONSTITUENTS
Men: John Yehling
- Addition of awards for NAIA men's volleyball by the AVCA. Ten All-Americans, a player of the year, and a coach of the year will be awarded beginning in 2010.
- MAMVIC Conference Tournament is this weekend;14 of the 17 NAIA teams are involved in that. National Tournament is in Davenport, Iowa this year with St. Ambrose as host.
- Stew - USAV has grant program for NCAA, we could lobby to include NAIA in that as well
Stew - Cycle of academic discontent on his campus that could cause some movement on changes in the athletic department, as it deals with competition dates, etc. Katy - there seems to be some thought at her school if athletics is a good investment of the institution's money. Very similar to discussions going on at NCAA Division II level with their "Life in the Balance" initiative.
VII. OLD BUSINESS
Committee Chiar: Katy Meyer
- Tachikara Gold Club - Product discounts available to NAIA coaches.
- AVCA-NAIA membership dues increase will commence on July 1st, 2010.
- Champions of Character on-line coaches training deadline July 15.
- 2010 AVCA Spring Conference, May 6th - 8th, 2010 in Palo Alto, CA.
- Leadership opportunities exist in both the AVCA and the NAIA.
VII. NEW BUSINESS
Committee Chair: Katy Meyer
- AVCA Board of Directors meeting is coming up at Spring Conference in May. Katy will update Board of this past year's committee accomplishments as well as old business updates and new business initiatives.
- Katy would like to start alternating conference call start times on a bi-monthly basis to help make it easier for some of the committee to make the call at least once every other month. Next month's call needs to be moved to May 12 at Noon EST in order to accommodate Board of Directors meeting.
Next call is scheduled for Wednesday, May 12 at Noon EST.
Call adjourned 1:52 p.m. (EST)