March 10, 2011
AVCA Division III Head Coaches Committee Meeting
March 10, 2011 - 11 a.m. ET
I. Roll Call - Kevin Barnett from The Net Live will be on the next call, so the role call question was what media venue needs to be used more to better promote our game?
II. Scott Buss with the Special Olympics was not on the call, so Becky will try to reschedule him for a future call.
III. AVCA Report
- 2011 NCSA/AVCA Spring Girls' Talent Showcase - Be sure to join us in Louisville, KY on April 21 from 5-8 p.m. at the Kentucky Exposition Center for this year's talent showcase. Coaches can pre-register for free through April 14. Over 100 student-athletes have already signed up to attend! www.avca.org/events/talent-showcases
- AVCA Hall of Fame - Nominations will open on Friday, March 18 through Friday, May 13. Nomination information will be available on the Hall of Fame page on the website: http://www.avca.org/awards/avca-hall-of-fame/
- Registration is now open for the 2011 AVCA Spring Conference. This year's event will be in Anaheim, California from May12-14 and will feature learning opportunities from the U.S. National Teams staffs and players. Visit the Spring Conference website for more the complete schedule. Deadline to register at the early bird rate is April 8th. www.avca.org/springconference2011
IV. Position Statement Discussion
- Becky opened it up for discussion - anything that needs to be adjusted or added
- Randall suggested that in Lines 12-15 where it mentions and "high level of play", that is not necessarily the focus of Division III. He said we need to make "participation" the driving force
- Brett said the focus should be on the "overall experience of the student-athlete" which would include participation and level of play. He suggested we include both.
- Becky agreed and asked if she should add the "overall experience of the student-athlete" to Line 3.
- Kim agreed and said that we want 15 subs because we want to have the best team on the court at the end of the game. So using that broad goal is OK.
- Tammy Swearington agreed that both of these factors should be included and that they make up better competition
- Randall came back saying that while he agrees with the above points, he was worried that in a statement like this, people may react differently and take it in a way that we did not intend
- John asked if there is anywhere that says what the priority of the rules committee is (because it is mentioned in the statement). He thought we may not want to say that in case the rules committee does not agree. Instead we should use their mission to prove our point. We should write this document with the readers' reactions in mind.
- Later in the call Tammy answered John's question by reading the charge and duties of the rules committee from the NCAA Rules Committee Manual. This information can be found in the NCAA bylaw 18.104.22.168.
- Becky asked if we should identify that we are underrepresented in the committee?
- Tammy said it's the same situation across all sports, but she doesn't see a problem with addressing this as it is clearly a major DIII concern. She went on the say that DIII would have nothing to lose in bringing up this point. The cannot take representatives away, all they could do would be to increase them
- Bridget asked what the next step is.
- Becky said that after she makes revisions she will send the position statement to all DIII AVCA member coaches to sign (similar to a petition). It will then be sent to the rules committee for review. Becky went on to say that it is important that the people we are representing know that we are continuing to fight for this on their behalf.
- She asked if anyone opposed to her making the changes discussed and sending it out without another approval of the committee - no one opposed
- Don Perkins brought up a separate point about how the NCAA does not want different rule across different divisions, so maybe another thing the DIII committee could fight for would be to add training/scrimmage periods or days.
- Becky agreed that this was something that the committee could address as a next step - depending on the response from the rules committee. But for now our position statement is fighting for subs to change across the board.
The next call will be on April 14th at 11:00 AM Eastern Time. The May call has been rescheduled to May 5th because of the conflict with the AVCA Spring Conference.