4.20.11 TYC HCC Conference Call Minutes
Two-Year College Head Coaches Committee Conference Call
Wednesday, April 20, 2011
Present on Call
David Rehr, Blinn College - Chair
Regina Mannix, Scottsdale Community College (NJCAA, DII)
Jim Dietz, Lincoln Land Community College (NJCAA, DII)
Steve Bailey, Kishwuakee Community College (NJCAA, DII)
Giovanna Melo, Western Nebraska Community College (NJCAA, DI)
Sue Sinclair, Illinois Central Community College (NJCAA, DII)
Marci Henry, Northeastern Junior College (NJCAA, DI)
Michael De Hoog, Big Bend Community College (NWAACC)
Rick Reynolds, Western Wyoming Community College (NJCAA, DI)
- AVCA Spring Conference Registration Open through Friday, April 22, 2011.
- AVCA Launced Strength & Conditioning Webinar Series
- AVCA will be present at 2011 JVA World Challenge Championships presented by Rox Volleyball over Easter weekend promoting the new issue of Phenom magazine.
- Budget cuts and loss of programs continue to be growing concerns
- Would be helpful for the TYC HCC in cooperation with the AVCA to collect data to provide Athletic Directors to help encourage them to keep volleyball.
- This is a redistricting year.
- Half-way through the spring season. 6 weeks total in season.
- New - International roster limitations; beginning in August 2012 international roster limitations will be based on eligibility roster (25% rule); this would also limit the age of the student-athletes.
- Passed a tryout audition rule.
- NCAA rule change - beginning in 2013 the libero or teammate has to be a solid colored jersey
- Dan Tudor just published an article on "How to Recruit a TYC athlete."
Ideas for Future Call Guest Speakers
- NAIA coach to speak on the clearinghouse
- Compliance officer to speak on transfer rules
Action Items for Future Calls
- Convention presence
- Publications Sub-Committee
- TYC Recruiting Profile