February 16, 2011
Division II Head Coaches Committee Conference Call Minutes
February 16, 2011 * 2:00 p.m. EST*
Cody Hein, Chico State
Bren Stevens, Charleston
Randi Smart, Cal State L.A.
Jamie Skadeland, Colorado School of Mines
Lynze Roos, Lynn
Sean Donahue, St. Edward's
Phil Shoemaker, Alaska-Fairbanks
Ashley Buckley, Augustana
Jessica Rinehart, Northwest Missouri State
Stephanie Radecki, North Alabama
Chuck Waddington, Angelo State
Megan Hrbek, Caldwell
Heather Vahjen, Erskine
Bo Pagliasotti, Southwestern Oklahoma
Katie O'Brien, Montevallo
Zach Shaver, Indiana University (Pa.)
Michael Robinson, Tusculum
Deanne Scanlon, Grand Valley State
Kris Naber, Grand Canyon
Selina Bynum-Kohn, Paine
Alex Koszalka, Dowling
Linda Bell, Elizabeth City State
Kelly Wengerter, American International
Meeting Called to Order: 2:00 p.m. EST
I. Welcome (Cody)
Cody began the call by welcoming everyone and thanking them for their time.
II. AVCA Update (Leah)
Leah gave a brief update on things going on at the AVCA. This included:
- 2011 NCSA/AVCA Spring Girls' Talent Showcase - Be sure to join us in Louisville, KY on April 21 from 5-8 p.m. at the Kentucky Exposition Center for this year's talent showcase. Coaches can pre-register for free through April 14. Over 100 student-athletes have already signed up to attend! www.avca.org/events/talent-showcases
- AVCA Hall of Fame - Nominations will open on Friday, March 18 through Friday, May 13. Nomination information will be available on the Hall of Fame page on the website: http://www.avca.org/awards/avca-hall-of-fame/
- Registration is now open for the 2011 AVCA Spring Conference. This year's event will be in Anaheim, California from May12-14 and will feature learning opportunities from the U.S. National Teams staffs and players. Visit the Spring Conference website for more the complete schedule. Deadline to register at the early bird rate is April 8th. www.avca.org/springconference2011
- AVCA Spring Webinar Series - Optimizing the Off-Season Series. All are available for purchase in AVCA Product Store.
Developing Relationships with Key Administrators: Make Them Want to Help You" - Terry Liskevych
"Strategies for Getting Your Student Body Engaged in Your Program" - Kelly Sheffield
"Growing Your Fan Base" - Anne Kordes
"Get Outside Your Comfort Zone: Using Your Selling Skills Beyond Recruiting"- Mary Wise
"Social Media: Tools for Building Awareness and Interest in Your Matches, Players, Camps, and Clinics" - Mark Drosos
- Audio recordings and handouts from selected 2010 AVCA Annual Convention sessions are available on the AVCA web site. To access the seminars, click the Education/Resources tab at the top of the AVCA web site, then select Coaching Education, then Events Seminars. Select sessions were also taped and will be available on DVD for purchase in the AVCA Product Store at the end of February.
- If you would like to become a mentor in the AVCA Coaches Mentoring Program, please let Leah know. Currently, the program has over 60 pairs of coaches matched, and has a waiting list of mentees who wish to be paired with a mentor.
- If you aren't already, make sure to follow the AVCA on its social media outlets: Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Blogger!
III. Compliance/Legislation Update (Kelley Kish, Asst. AD/SWA/Compliance, University of Indianapolis)
Kelley gave a report on recently approved NCAA legislation:
* No. 7: You can spend 2 hours included in your 8 hours of team activity included in the non-championship segment
* Strength coach supervisor during the summer legislation did not pass, but only by 50 votes
*This could be brought back next year with caveat that students are enrolled in the university at the time
* Winter break will remain the same...no changes.
* Starting August 1, there will be an unlimited number of official visits in Division II. This does count towards the limit of Division I official visits.
*Student-athletes at YOUR institution can work YOUR summer camp prior to their enrollment.
* For transfer students, the NCAA will begin looking at the actual English and match hours that are transferred in
*6 hours of English and 3 semesters of math
*You can use a student you plan to redshirt to play in an alumni game or fundraising game. It will count as one exempted event.
*For regionalization, there is uncertainty of conference realignments.
*Preseason hourly limitations: questions with interpretations
*The GLVC did not have to break for 3 hours prior to meeting
*Why does football have four extra days of acclimation? Trying to get some of those days back.
IV. Chair Reports (Cody)
1. Cody updated the HCC on the NCAA committee meeting
2. Cody reminded those on the call that it is your responsibility as an HCC member to be on each monthly call and participate in HCC discussion and dialogue. If you can not be on the call, please find a replacement from your conference. Also, please remember to forward meeting minutes to all of the coaches within your conference.
V. Next Meeting
The next HCC call will be March 16 at 2 p.m. EST.