SVCC Conference Call Minutes
Sand Volleyball Coaches Committee
Thursday, October 25, 2012
The call started at 7:10 a.m. PT, 10:10 a.m. ET
Committee Members Present: Nina Matthias(Pepperdine), chair, Anna Collier (USC), Jason Kepner (Col. of Charleston), Steve Loeswick (UNF) Absent until end of call: Danalee Corso (FSU)
AVCA Staff: Kathy DeBoer (ED), Ashley Beil (Dir/Membership & Marketing) Kathy DeBoer transcribed the minutes
I . Update on numbers of new teams in 2012-13
- - Kathy DeBoer gave an update on the prospective new teams for the 2013 season. Per a conversation with John Dunning on Friday, Oct. 19, the University of Pacific, Sacramento State, Stanford, Santa Clara and the University of San Francisco will form a northern California consortium. The self-imposed rules for the group are 1. No team will travel outside of the area, 2. Each team will play eight dates of competition only, and 3. When asked, they will decline the opportunity to be considered for the 2013 AVCA National Championship. Cal-Berkeley and St. Mary's College of California are considering joining the consortium but have not committed at this point.
- - Committee members shared that they had heard UCLA would not start a team until 2014, same for Coastal Carolina and South Carolina
- - With the addition of the northern California five, the count of NCAA varsity programs for 2013 is at 26, 25 in DI, 1 in DII.
II. 2013 - 15 Bid from Gulf Shores CVB and Gulf Shores Region
- - The committee reviewed the bid from Gulf Shores. They voted to return to the site for a May 3-5 Championship in 2013.
- - After discussion, the committee instructed Kathy DeBoer ask Gulf Shores for an increase in complimentary rooms for 2014 and 2015, and hospitality should the number of teams playing sand volleyball increase so significantly that the tournament is expanded from six to eight teams and the pair's bracket size increased.
- - The 2013 Team Championship bracket is tentatively set at six, but may be reviewed once the final number of varsity programs is known.
III. Sand VB Championship Selection Committee
- - Since Rita Crockett of Florida International University is now coaching a team a replacement is needed for the Sand Volleyball Selection Committee. Kathy DeBoer will submit a request for nominees to all varsity programs.
IV. Suggested agenda Items for Sand VB Coaches Meeting at AVCA Convention
Friday, Dec. 14, 1:30-3:00 p.m.
- - Ali Wood Lamberson wants to discuss USAV procedures for recruiting and selecting coaches for their high performance and national team development programs
- - NCAA Legislation: coaches are asked to submit questions regarding NCAA rules to Kathy DeBoer who will share them with the Stephanie Castera, the Legislative Services representative who will attend the meeting.
- - Discuss procedures for regular season line-up challenges. NOTE: The AVCA will handle National Championship challenges and the ASUN Conference is handling their conference matches.
- - Officials: Clarify allowable coaching parameters.
- - Send other suggested agenda items to Kathy DeBoer prior to Dec. 1.
The call ended at 8:05 a.m. PT, 11:05 ET.