TYC HCC Conference Call Minutes
Two-Year College Head Coaches Committee Conference Call
Wednesday, June 20, 2012
11:30 am ET
Present on Call:
Ashley Beil (AVCA), Sonny Lewis, Kim Whitney, Rick Reynolds (Chair), Jaime Frazier, Jane Peterson & John Kessel (Guest Speaker)
John Kessel - Around 409,000 girls playing high school volleyball & there are an estimated 12,000 collegiate scholarships available. There are 120 collegiate volleyball scholarships for men in the U.S. John asked the group why he thinks the men, given the smaller pool of athlete candidates and collegiate playing opportunities have experienced more success in the Olympics than the women's team?
- Thank you, John, and thank you, Rick for recruiting John to join us on today's call.
- AVCA is doing a fundraising campaign for the Coaches 4 Coaches Scholarship Program. The goal is to raise $1,010 by October 10. To donate, visit the AVCA Product Store. Donations can be made in $10, $25 or $50 increments. Whichever group raises the most money, someone who donated from that group will be randomly selected to win a free 2012 Convention registration. To donate: http://www.avca.org/membership/coaches-4-coaches/scholarship-donations/.
- AVCA membership dues are scheduled to increase on July 1. Beat the increase! Every Two-Year College head coach who joins or renews their AVCA membership between now and July 1 can sign up or renew the membership of an assistant coach, volunteer assistant, administrator or Director of Ops on their staff (membership must be of lesser value) at no charge! This offer is not available through the AVCA Website. The offer is redeemable through a membership form that will be attached to the call minutes.
- AVCA Team Academic Award nominations are currently open and will run through 5:00 pm (ET) on Friday, June 29.
- AVCA Talent Showcase is part of a new, invitation-only program at this year's Convention called the AVCA Phenom College Preparatory Program that will include a weekend of events for participants and their parents to educate and prepare them on playing volleyball at the collegiate level. The Talent Showcase portion of the Phenom Prep Program will be open to Two-Year College student-athletes that would like to participate. Registration will be $85 and will open on the AVCA website on October 5.
- 2012 AVCA Annual Convention registration will open on Wednesday, August 15.
- A reminder that we're taking the month of July off from our call. Our next call will be on Wednesday, August 15 @ 11:30 am (ET).
- No updates
- Still in the process of getting a new stats program.
- No Updates
- Committee action items for August call - bring ideas for the TYC Booth at the Louisville Convention!