December 12, 2012
Division II Head Coaches Committee Conference Call Minutes
Division II HCC Meeting
AVCA Convention - Louisville, KY
Wednesday December 12, 2012
5:30 - 7:00 pm
Randi Smart: NOT PRESENT
Shellane Ogoshi: NOT PRESENT
Melissa Woler: NOT PRESENT, Debbie Hendricks sitting in.
Selina Bynum-Kohn: NOT PRESENT
I Welcome, thank you for coming, call to order
III Kathleen from NCAA
- Take what DII coaches hear and know to improve communication between the coaches and the NCAA.
B. Issues to Discuss
- The posting of strength of schedule.
o Difficult to because all of Division II is regionalized, and not just a volleyball issue. It might "open up a can of worms.
- GLIAC: Pre-match conduct with different warm-up protocols.
- Substitutions merely following Division I.
- Kathleen will look to sitting in on conference calls.
- Chances of limiting travel on Thanksgiving. Make sure it is presented to the NCAA for review.
IV Chair Report (Cody)
A. Board Report from Board meeting on Tuesday
-Prioritize the issues and get them to the right people.
- Slight concern about the 2013 convention in Seattle with the extra long travel for many people. To help alleviate that, there will be two spring conferences, one on each coast. Al Scates and Mike Hebert will be at both talking about attacking and program development.
- Please visit exhibitors and see what they have to say.
B. Championship at West Florida was "seamless." Thank you to everyone involved.
C. Look into eliminating automatic qualifiers. Are conference tournaments necessary with regionalization?
D. Look into what would count as a "team meeting." It seems to be different than other sports.
E. Top issues to bring up to NCAA:
- 1. Calendar
- 2. Bi-law 17 - Life in the balance.
- 3. Substitutions
- 4. Warm-up time.
- 5. Strength of Schedule
F. Awards process
- Will re-evaluate how AVCA handles committee reps and length of terms.
G. Top-25 Poll re-structuring
- Each HCC rep will be a poll voter, with the responsibility of finding one additional voter in their conference.
- 1. Combined championships, any pertinent legislation...
V Reminder of other meetings
- A. D-II General Meeting is tomorrow from 9:00-11:00am in KICC 207/208
- B. Next HCC call: January 16th, 2013 is the 3rd Wednesday of the month, but that will ultimately be up to Jim...