January 16, 2013
Division II Head Coaches Committee Conference Call Minutes
Division II HCC Meeting
January 16, 2013
Nicki Bumbpass: NOT PRESENT
Greg Walker: NOT PRESENT
Shellane Ogoshi: NOT PRESENT
Kristy Bayer: NOT PRESENT
Laurie Lokash: NOT PRESENT
I. General Welcome, call to order
A. David Portney
1. General AVCA information update
2013 AVCA Spring Conference East/West
Spring Conference goes bicoastal! Registration is now open for the 2013 AVCA Spring Conference East/West events. Spring Conference East is scheduled for April 26-28 on the campus of MIT in conjunction with the NCAA Men's Division III Championship. Spring Conference West is scheduled for May 2-4 on the campus of UCLA and the Westin LA Airport in conjunction with the NCAA Division I-II Men's Championship.
Both Spring Conference events will feature on-court and classroom presentations from our master coaches, Al Scates and Mike Hebert, including an entire day of in-depth analysis on both attaching and program development. Additional sessions will be offered led by renowned coaches from all levels of the game.
Group registration rates are available. More information found here: http://avca.org/2013-sc-east-west/index.cfm
The Thirty Under 30 Award nomination period is now open and will remain open until February 15th. This is your opportunity to nominate someone 30 years old or younger who you think is deserving of this honor. Something to keep in mind, the coach you choose to nominate must be an AVCA member.
The audio recordings for the sessions at the AVCA Convention can now be found online, and they are free to members regardless if you attended the convention, so please spread the word.
We also have a new crop of webinars lined up this season about running your summer camps and building your fan bases, so I recommend you take a look and sign up if any of those interests you:
1. Monthly Calls
a. 3rd Wednesday of the month - 12:00pm CST
b. Replacement if unable to make the call - assistant coach, another conf. coach
c. Missing 3 is the cut-off for committee removal
2. AVCA Top 25 Poll
a. Two voters per conference (24 conf. x 2 = 48 voters)
b. HCC member is one voter
- Can track if voters miss ballot.
c. HCC member will secure the other voter from each conference - please email Jim (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the following information:
- Name of other voter
- Email address
- Work phone
- Cell phone
3. Information for your conference schools/coaches
a. Distribution of 2013 fall tournament spreadsheet
b. Criteria discussion to forward on to National VB Committee - the National Volleyball Committee and the Championships staff would like to hear your feedback regarding the selection criteria priorities that NCAA Championships representatives Dr. Roberta Page and Amy Reis discussed with DII Coaches at the Convention. Please remember that your responses should be addressed to D2selectioncriteria@ncaa.org before Friday January 25 for Championships Committee to consider but before January 18th for the Volleyball Committee to consider during their meetings which begin January 22. For those were not able to attend the meeting, here is a link to that information:
- - Kim: Request for feedback came from RAC.
- - Results will get sent to volleyball committee, but to ensure it does email Jill.
4. Moving back the date for allowable skillwork team practices in the off-season (i.e. - no limit on number of players in small groups, just limited to the 2 hours of on-court training per week per athlete)
- Currently the last date is Feb. 15th
-That's the earliest you can start, used as starting line to make sure it's even across the board. Means we basically have three different segments of our spring.
- Chris: Other sports in similar situation, unsure of getting a specific volleyball decision. Kathleen from NCAA agrees. Is it better to have no dates and no restrictions even after the season's over?
- Gym time would be a nightmare.
- Move to the start of your non-championship segment (start of your 45 day period)...Bball has no limit until Oct. 15th
- Leave the restrictions after the seasons conclude the same.
C. Kathleen Brasfield
1. Summer workouts with strength and conditioning staff
-Need feedback in a month with some answers to bring to NCAA. Might be easier to break it down by conference.
-There isn't a proposal right now. Need to determine if it's a fall sports issue or a football issue?
-Definitely a have vs. have not issue.
-Don't have time to get volleyball athletes fit before the season.
-Can we limit to strength & conditioning activities?
-Can trainers give feedback on injury prevention?
2. Topics to carry forward from Cody's term/AVCA Convention meeting
a. Length of the season/calendar (Fall Festival)
b. Bylaw 17 - countable hours, lifting (doesn't count for football)
-Volleyball counts before classes start.
-Be careful on comparing volleyball to football. Don't want all of the negatives that go along with the football policy.
c. Pre-match protocol
-National Volleyball Committee issue.
-Would like to shorten NCAA protocol to begin at 40 minute mark instead of 60 minute. Don't want to be at match two hours before hand.
III. Other Items
IV. Next Meeting/Roll
- A. Phone call: Wednesday, February 20th, 2013 12:00pm CST
B. Take roll