TYC HCC Conference Call Minutes
Two-Year College Head Coaches Committee Conference Call
Wednesday, January 16, 2013
11:30 am ET
Present on Call:
Ashley Beil (AVCA), Rick Reynolds (Chair), Kim Whitney, Sonny Lewis, Regina Mannix, Giovanna Melo, Sue Sinclair, Jayme Frazier, Jane Peterson, Mary Young
- 2013 Webinar series schedule announced and available for purchase. There is a Camp Series, a Recruiting Series and a Sand Series. http://www.avca.org/education-resources/coaching-education/webinars/
- 2013 AVCA Spring Conference East/West registration is now open. SC East is scheduled for April 26-28 on the campus of MIT and SC West is schedule for May 2-4 at UCLA.
- Audio recordings from the 2012 AVCA Annual Convention sessions are now available free to members on the AVCA Website. Handouts and PowerPoint presentations will be available soon. The Championships Productions videos from court sessions will be available in three waves - one in mid February, the end of February and mid March.
- NJCAA Convention Meeting - Want to keep one meeting but change it to the time slot that wasn't used this year. Possibly Friday morning before the All-America/Players of the Year Banquet.
- PDF of new uniform rules - this rule was listed in the 2012 rule book but would take effect in 2013. Rick will distribute this with the conference call minutes and AVCA will post to Website under Divisions Tab (Two-Year College) and Committees Tab (Two-Year College).
- Tachikara Ball Issues - Tachikara is very open to returning balls if you're having issues with them.
- National Tournament Reports (update by Mary Young per the minutes of the NJCAA meeting at the AVCA Convention
- o Division III - Reported by Jane Peterson of Central Lakes College. Rock Valley defeated Brookhaven to win the championship. Jane brought up the need for the bracket in Division III to be examined as the loser of the 3rd place game is declared 5th place rather than 4th. Jane was also inducted into the NJCAA Volleyball Hall of Fame at the Division III banquet...Congratulations Jane!
- o Division II - Reported by Sonny Lewis of Owens Community College. Grand Rapids CC defeated Cowley County to win the championship in Division II. Sonny discussed the evaluations he has received back since the conclusion of the tournament. Most items centered around gift exchange, practice times and playing times. It was suggested by participating teams to start the games on the final day at 10 am rather than noon. Sonny revealed that Owens will not bid for the tournament in the next cycle and that Division II is still seeking bids for a host.
- o Division I - Reported by Heidi Cartisser of College of Southern Idaho. CSI defeated Western Nebraska CC to win the championship. Next year the tournament moves to Casper, WY. It was recommended to have stats for the entire tournament.
- Looking at increasing their GPA for eligibility to play. Currently at a 2.0. NWAAC may be moving towards a 2.25.
- Rick will reach out and try to recruit 2 coaches to be on the call.
- Could the NWAAC schedule their Winter Coaches Meeting at the Convention to encourage attendance of NWAAC coaches at the Convention
- Rick encouraged committee members to submit videos to AVCA for Video Tip of the Week
- Next Call on Wednesday, February 20 at 11:30 am (ET)