April 17, 2013
Division II Head Coaches Committee Conference Call Minutes
Division II HCC Meeting
April 17, 2013
Nicki Bumbpass: Not present.
Greg Walker: Not present.
Ben Briney: Not present.
Selina Bynum-Kohn: Not present.
I. General Welcome, call to order
II. Roll Call
A. David Portney
1. General AVCA information update
The AVCA is now accepting nominations for the 2012-2013 Grant Burger Media Award! The AVCA Grant Burger Media Award is an honor intended to recognize members of the media who have been involved in the advancement of the sport of volleyball through consistent coverage in all mediums. We have a total of six categories: Sports Information Directors, Print, Broadcast, Web, Social Media and College Student Reporter.
Please visit our website to download the nomination form, and make sure to have it submitted no later than April 29th. http://www.avca.org/awards/grant-burger-media-award/
Nominations are still open for this year's 2013 Hall of Fame. The nomination categories are as follows: coach/educator, administrator and organization. Nominations are due no later than Friday, May 17 at 5pm est. Please visit our website to nominate someone who you feel is worthy of this prestigious honor. http://www.avca.org/awards/avca-hall-of-fame/
If you'd like the results from the college prep combine from this past Thursday in Louisville, email Haley Booth at email@example.com.
1. Sports Club legislation
a. Still waiting on an interp from NCAA before moving forward with any ‘official' stance on the matter
b. Kathleen - any updates?
2. Strength & Conditioning staff over summer break
a. Feedback to Kathleen?
b. Summary of thoughts that have come in to Kathleen and Jim - safety concerns, have vs. have-nots, clarification on who, certification
It does count as part of hours.
b. Do we have additional thoughts or needs to discuss this further as a group to develop a position from the HCC?
Kathleen: From Sara, has an outside the box idea, will pass along once she gets home from the road.
Chris: Can a school pay for a student-athlete to join an outside gym?
LeAnne: Will pass along article that addresses that issue.
3. NCAA Championship - same location as DI Championship?
- a. This was brought up a few years back and got on the radar - any update as to where we stand today (Kathleen)
- b. The conversation needs to start with Kathy DeBoer at AVCA.
- c. Both DII and DIII or just DII?
- d. Same venue or different? (Proximity of venues)
- e. Just finals (Mens Bball) or semifinals or quarterfinals?
- 1. Only finals.
- f. Schedule of events?
- a. Slid DII back a week to accommodate basketball.
- b. Kathleen: Suggestion: appoint a committee of three to find out all of these answers.
- c. Looking for HCC volunteers: Sara, Chuck, Kristy
C. Chris Catanach: Are we moving away from regionalization?
-Trying to do regional tournaments, but there are no mandates. No real direction or guidance being given as a conference.
-Difficult to play in-region because regions can be so large. Some schools are afraid of playing top rivals early in the year.
IV. Other/New Items
V. Roll Call - double check to see if anyone joined late who missed the initial role call
VI. Next Meeting
- A. Phone call: Wednesday, May 15th, 2013 12:00pm CST