AVCA NAIA HEAD COACHES COMMITTEE
Monthly Conference Call
•I. Welcome - Christy Clawson, HCC Chair (firstname.lastname@example.org)
•II. Welcome New Members - none at this time
- Assistant Coach Representative
- Independent Institutions
- California Pacific Conference
- The Sun Conference
- Kentucky Intercollegiate Conference
•III. AVCA Updates - Jackson Silvanik, (email@example.com)
- A. General updates.
- Coaches for coaches
- 10-10 $10 Donate 1 month left
- 2012 Coaches Salary Survey
- B. AVCA Board Update
- Beat the Increase Membership promotion: if a potential negative can be turned into a positive it happened with this promotion. Just to recap: after the board approved the dues increase of $10 on college members and $5 on all others, the staff launched a promotion whereby if the head coach renewed their membership by June 30, they got the old price and an assistant for free. We had a great response with 375 head coaches taking advantage of the offer. The exciting part for us as a staff is that we picked up over 50 NEW college head coaches - remember the head coach pays. We also will have a year to reach out to the 200 new assistant coaches that will be AVCA members due to a head coach renewal. Among head coaches, we did the best in attracting new head coaches in Division II and with Two-Year colleges, gaining 13 and 16 respectively.
- Team Academic Award: We are still finishing the paperwork on our end, but it looks as if almost 600 coaches nominated their teams for the 2011-12 AVCA Team Academic Award. This is a 20% increase over last year.
- Institutions Making the SAND Move
•IV. NAIA Update - Jamie Adams, Manager of Championship Sports (JAdams@naia.org)
- A. General updates - Jamie will speak about the proposals that went to NACDA the year before & either why they were turned down or how we will implement them moving forward in October meeting.
- Awards - Most awards, including All-Conference lists, have been moved to electronic submission. All relevant Volleyball awards will be either linked from the Coaches Corner page or in emails out to coaches. If you ever need to find any of the awards forms they can be found on http://www.naia.org/ / Membership Services / Membership Resources / Official Forms
- The Summer Update and the Coaches Manual are both up to date and posted on the website. You can find them on the Coaches Corners: www.naia.org/coaches
- The Champions of Character Live 5 program has been launched. Check out this website for helpful ideas on integrating the five core values in your practice planning: www.naia.org/character
•V. Committee Updates:
- A. Recognition Committee - Stew McDole
- B. Competition Committee - Mike Gibson
- C. Membership - Christy Clawson http://www.avca.org/membership/
- As 2012 Fall season rolls around start checking your conferences for membership.
- D. Sand Volleyball -http://www.avca.org/sand/
•VI. Other Constituency Updates:
- A. Men's Programs - John Yehling
- B. Assistant Coaches - CA
- C. Conferences - Any Committee Members
•VII. Committee Chair General Report - Christy Clawson (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- A. AVCA Fall Convention - December 2012
- Pre-Convention Seminar:
Developing a Great Setter - Drills and Techniques from Youth to the College Level
Join us on Wednesday for this special in-depth session as our group of presenters dissects the art of developing and coaching a great setter. Through a mix of classroom learning and on-court training, this facilitated program will break down the areas critical to setter success including technique, strategy, tactics, leadership and team management. This seminar is targeted to coaches at all levels, as having an understanding of the entire setting journey is crucial for coaches to move their setter from one stage to the next.
- New Features
- More Coaching Education Than Ever Before
This year's convention schedule will include 80 on-court, sand and classroom seminars. A third volleyball court has been added to the exhibit hall to provide an opportunity for more on-court training sessions. Take advantage of all the educational offerings that are available to make yourself a better coach and leader.
- AVCA Victory Club Recognition Breakfast
Join us for a continental breakfast buffet on Friday morning in the Marriott Ballroom prior to the Super Session as we celebrate this year's AVCA Victory Club Award honorees.
- AVCA Convention Attendees Give Back
Join the fight against breast cancer! During the convention registration process attendees have the opportunity to add $1, $5, $10 or more to your convention registration total. All donations go directly to supporting Side Out Foundation research and educational programs. Each person that makes a tax-deductible donation will receive a Side Out Foundation wristband.
- Donate Your Unused Match Tickets
Convention attendees have the opportunity to purchase discounted NCAA match tickets during the convention registration process. If you are unable to use your match ticket on either Thursday or Saturday night, leave your ticket at the AVCA registration desk. All donated tickets will be distributed to an underprivileged child or family in the Louisville community so they can have the opportunity to attend the matches!
- Registration for the convention is quick and easy. Register online or fill out a printed registration form.
- Early-Bird Deadline: November 2 - save up to $100 off your convention registration!
- All the Convention Details: The AVCA Convention Web site - visit frequently for convention updates.
- We look forward to seeing you there!
- For convention questions please contact the AVCA at 866-544-2822 or email@example.com.
- B. ACTION ITEMS
- a. Please stay active with your own conference members, encourage and foster AVCA membership among coaches as well as involvement to submit video tips of the week and articles to AVCA.
- b. AVCA Educational Time Out - http://avca.scoutware.net/vb/cgi/viewMail.pl?i=T1115141701_15898271&
- c. AVCA Video Tip of the Week - http://avca.scoutware.net/vb/cgi/viewMail.pl?i=T0611360501_15728326
•VIII. Roll Call - Christy Clawson (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- o TBA (Association of Independent Institutions) o Mark Perisi (American Mideast Conference)
- o John Yehling (American Midwest Conference, Men's Rep.) o Christy Mooberry (Appalachian Athletic Conference)
- o TBA (California Pacific Conference) o Natalie Wildes (Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conf.)
- o Dakota Athletic Conference Disbanded o Kim Norman (Frontier Conference)
- o Marissa Booker (Golden State Athletic Conference) o Cindy Meyer (Great Plaines Athletic Conference)
- o Sarah Grams (Gulf Coast Athletic Conference) o Derick White (Heart of America Athletic Conference)
- o Nathalea Stephenson (Kansas Collegiate Conference) o Andria Harshman (Mid-Central College Conference)
- o Samantha Harvey (Midlands Collegiate Athletic Conference) o Ryan DeLong (Mid-west Collegiate Conference)
- o Andy Cavins (Mid-South Conference) o Todd Lowery (Red River Athletic Conference)
- o Anna Monsen Howle (Sooner Athletic Conference) o Tori Bartels (Southern States Athletic Conference)
- o TBA (The Sun Conference) o Todd Humphry (TranSouth Athletic Conference)
- o Kirsta Solberg (Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference) o Stew McDole (Recognition Committee)
- o Mike Gibson (Competition Committee) o Jackson Silvanik (AVCA Representative)
o Jamie Adams (NAIA - Volleyball Administrator) o TBA (Assistant Coach Representative)
- o Jason Corwin (Cascade Collegiate Conference) o TBA (Kentucky Intercollegiate Conference)