AVCA NAIA HEAD COACHES COMMITTEE
Monthly Conference Call
AVCA NAIA HEAD COACHES COMMITTEE
Monthly Conference Call
Day and Time: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 - 9:00 AM PST, 10:00 MST, 11:00 CST, 12:00 EST
•I. Welcome - Kim Norman, HCC Chair (email@example.com)
•II. Welcome New Members
Frontier Conference: LaToya Harris
- Assistant coach rep.
- Outdoor rep.
•III. AVCA Updates - Bradley Wilson (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Registration for the 2013 convention is now open. The convention will be held December 18 - 22 in Seattle, Washington. More information on hotel rates as well as registration packages and pricing can be found by clicking here.
- The 2013 AVCA Under Armour Watch List has been released. College coaches that have high school seniors committed to their program are asked to contact that player's high school coach and encourage the coach to recommend their player for the 2013 Under Armour Watch List. Players that are on the Under Armour Watch List can then be nominated for the Under Armour High School All-American Team. In addition, the media often includes the player being on the Under Armour All-America Watch List when writing stories or press releases on college commitments so it is positive exposure for the player and school. The high school coach must be an active AVCA member in order to make a recommendation. The deadline for recommendations is October 1. The current list can be viewed here.
- Coaches 4 Coaches Scholarship fundraiser is currently underway. The AVCA has reached its goal of $2,500 and would like to now reach $5,000 before September 26. The AVCA is currently about $500 away from this goal.
Because the $2,500 was reached, AVCA Executive Director, Kathy DeBoer, has agree to rappel 400 feet down the side of the Lexington Financial Center in downtown Lexington, KY. The raised money will used to allow 8 future coaches a chance to attend the convention in order to network and learn. Donations can be made online here. If the online service is not functioning correctly, coaches may also mail a check made out to the AVCA. Please include "Coaches 4 Coaches" in the memo. The AVCA address is:
2365 Harrodsburg Rd, Suite A325
Lexington, KY 40504
Donations may also be made by calling Brad Wilson at 859-219-3520 and providing your credit card information.
The AVCA is also accepting applications for the scholarship. If you have players or volunteer coaches that would be interested in the opportunity please have them submit an application. The deadline to submit is October 11. The application can be downloaded here.
- Minority Scholarship Fund is also open for applications. Applications can be downloaded here.
•A. AVCA Board updates - Kathy DeBoer
- The AVCA is interested in gathering metrics of college volleyball players such as height, vertical, lateral quickness, and reach. The AVCA has found that they are good predictors of potential volleyball players. After placing the metrics in a formula, a Volleyball Performance Index (VPI) can be calculate and displayed on a scale of 1-100. The AVCA would like to come to the NAIA practice day on the Monday before the NAIA Championship and gather some data on the athletes. Knowing these values could help coaches during recruiting if they are able to compare current NAIA statistics versus potential recruits.
•IV. NAIA Update - Jamie Adams, Manager of Championship Sports (JAdams@naia.org)
- A. General updates
- a. NAC is interested in looking at the ratings process. A task force member has been assigned to volleyball to review the entire process. So far, no changes are required or on the horizon.
- b. Libero Jersey must be in solid colored uniform. Championship Sports is currently working with a NCAA rules editor to make the language on the rule completely clear. All NAIA institutions are expected to comply by November 1.
- i. What about issues with manufacturing companies that feature different colored brands?
- 1. If you are not in compliance by November 1, you will not be able to play with a Libero.
- c. Statistics - Championships Sports is getting more information about how to properly take statistics
- i. NCAA website does feature good videos displaying how statistics should be taken
- ii. Please be proactive in looking at conference member stats in order to ensure that they are correct
- iii. Developing a statistic certification may be worth considering.
•V. Committee Updates:
- A. Competition Committee - Mike Gibson
- Please remind conference members to send input regarding changes to the championships
- B. Membership - Kim Norman http://www.avca.org/membership/
- C. Sand Volleyball -http://www.avca.org/sand/
- Kathy will look into finding a representative
•VI. Other Constituency Updates:
- A. Assistant Coaches - (vacant)
•VII. Committee Chair General Report - Kim Norman, HCC Chair (email@example.com)
Proposed Future Meeting Dates: First Wednesday of each month beginning in October.
Next NAIA Head Coaches Committee meeting - Wednesday, October 2, 2013, 9:00 AM PST, 10:00 MST, 11:00 CST, 12:00 EST
•VIII. Roll Call - Kim Norman- (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- o Lindsay Johnson(Association of Independent Institutions) o Lindsay Johnson (Association of Independent/NW)
o Mark Perisi (American Mideast Conference) o John Yehling (American Midwest Conference, Men's Rep.)
o Vacant (Appalachian Athletic Conference) o Allen McCreary (California Pacific Conference)
- o Brian Erminger (Cascade Collegiate Conference) o Natalie Wildes (Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conf.)
- o Scott Mattera (Great Plaines Athletic Conference) o LaToya Harris (Frontier Conference)
- o Patti Cook (Golden State Athletic Conference) o TBA (Kentucky Intercollegiate Conference)
- o Sarah Grams (Gulf Coast Athletic Conference) o Caren Kimner (Heart of America Athletic Conference)
- o Nathalea Stephenson (Kansas Collegiate Conference) o Jim Routhier (Crossroads League Conference)
- o Samantha Harvey (Midlands Collegiate Athletic Conference) o Ryan DeLong (Mid-west Collegiate Conference)
- o Andy Cavins (Mid-South Conference) o Todd Lowery (Red River Athletic Conference)
- o Nikke Dieball (Sooner Athletic Conference) o Tori Bartels (Southern States Athletic Conference)
- o TBA (The Sun Conference) o Vacant (TranSouth Athletic Conference)
- o Megan Lenhart (Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference) o Stew McDole (Recognition Committee)
- o Mike Gibson (Competition Committee) o Jackson Silvanik (AVCA Representative)
o Jamie Adams (NAIA - Volleyball Administrator) o TBA (Assistant Coach Representative)
North Star Conference (new NAIA conference).