October 16, 2013
Division II Head Coaches Committee Conference Call Minutes
Division II HCC Meeting - September 18, 2013
Jim Boos - Chair
Vernell Capers: NOT PRESENT
Division II HCC Meeting
Wednesday, October 16th, 2013
12:00pm Central Standard Time
Phone #: (888) 680-7521
Access Code: 48229074
I. General Welcome, call to order
II. Roll Call
A. David Portney
1. General AVCA information update
Just a reminder the early bird deadline is coming up to register for the AVCA Convention. If you register by November 1st you get $100 off, so please sign up early and save the money. Also, hotel rooms are filling up quickly with space being at around 70-80% capacity, so to save money and ensure you get the best hotel locations please register in the next two weeks.
Register here: http://avca.org/seattle13/index.cfm
In case you weren't aware, the Under Armour High School nomination period is open, so if you have a high school senior who will be attending your school, reach out to their high school coach and make sure they're nominated before the deadline this Monday.
I know it's in the itinerary, but I'll mention it here as well. Please review the awards packet for the changes in procedure and the deadlines. We don't want anyone to be surprised so we need your help to spread the word. If anyone has any questions please reach out to Kate Schuerman at firstname.lastname@example.org
1. AVCA Top 25 Poll Voting (David Portney)
a. Who hasn't voted - issues? (forgetting, submitting issues, etc.)
b. Sending your additional conf. poll voter a reminder
c. Do we need a policy on missing the poll and replacing voters after a certain # of misses?
- Think about it and will discuss this off-season.
2. Combined championship idea (Sarah, Ben, Chuck, Kristy)
a. Nothing new to report at this time
- Kathleen: Very much on their radar.
- Jim: In our best interest to put the issue at hold and see how the conversations play out.
3. VPI Testing - email request has been sent to the National VB Committee and they visited on it during their early October call. More details to follow.
- Need a high number of participants to make it worth the AVCA's time and money.
4. Regional Awards date changes (attachment: 13DivIIAwardsPacket)
- Monday, Nov. 11 thru Monday, Nov. 18 - Student-Athlete Nominations Accepted
- Wednesday, Nov. 20 thru Tuesday, Nov. 26* - Head Coaches Vote for All-Region Teams
- Monday, December 2 - Region Conference Calls
- Wednesday, December 4 -Region Awards Announced
• Sunday, December 8 - AVCA Division II AA/NPOY/COY/ACOY Conference Call
Please email SID the awards packet just in case.
5. NCAA Championships newsletter
- Pre-Championship Manual available here . The manual contains policies and procedures governing the administration of the championship.
- October 28: Bid materials for hosting preliminary-round competition will be available here.
- DEADLINE - November 15: Deadline to submit bid materials for preliminary-round competition.
- Rankings will be published November 6, November 13 and November 20 on www.ncaa.com.
- Selection Announcement: November 25 on www.ncaa.com.
- Please pass along awards packet to your SID.
6. Regionalization (attachment: Regionalization Packet 2013-14)
- Has the most current map outlining regional alignment.
7. NCAA Match Protocol
- Sunshine, GLVC, GLIAC have alternative pre-match protocol. NCAA Committee will be asking all conferences in all divisions from across the country to adhere to the NCAA rules book.
- Prior to the officials arriving there is limited enforcement.
- Will: Communication was sent out to schools about the change.
- Some schools start protocol at 90 minutes before the match to allow serve and pass time prior to protocol start time.
- Any chance NCAA protocol extended to 90 minutes?
Jim: It would have to be presented to the rules committee. It has been submitted before, but it's never had enough support to pass. The percentage of coaches that respond to rules in Division II is the lowest of three divisions.
- MIAA changed it to a 90 minute protocol in an effort to make sure the facility is available one hour before the match.
- Kathleen: Go through the rules committee and national committee. It doesn't hurt to initiate and see what happens.
- Jim: Could need Division I, II and III support to pass since it's a rules issue.
- Best to avoid the hurdles of dealing with conferences and athletics directors.
C. Kathleen Brasfield
- Bringing Roberta and Amy to Seattle if they can get the time to go.
IV. Other/New Items
Chuck: 2014 is festival year, so there's just one weekend of regional play. Can we get a waiver to get a week back?
Kathleen: My best guess is it's not probable.
Jim: We can move it back a week instead of being shortened on the front end, but it could be an issue with other sports.
Todd: Starting on September 16th for conference play, but it will be a hectic schedule.
V. Roll Call - double check to see if anyone joined late who missed the initial role call
VI. Next Meeting Phone call: Wednesday, November 20th, 2013 12:00pm CST