November 12, 2013
Present: Emily Andrews (AVCA), Tammy Swearingen (Chair), Shelley Bauder, Sheila Gisbrecht, Annie Doman, Jill Jolliff, Alexa Keckler, Kim Kelly, Monica McDonald, Phil Pisano, Mika Robinson, Bridget Sheehan, Alesia Vacari
I. Roll Call Question: How would you slow down the scheduling process for next season?
II. AVCA Update:
The AVCA Convention will be held December 18 - 22 in Seattle. The last day to register is November 27th. Anyone who registers after the 27th will have to do so onsite. If you haven't booked your hotel room yet, there are still rooms at the Sheridan. All other hotels have been sold out under the AVCA block. Match times for the NCAA Championships are 4:30 p.m. and 7 p.m. PT for the semifinals on Thursday, December 19 and 6:30 p.m. PT for the finals on Saturday, December 21. More information on hotel rates, registration pricing packages and a preliminary schedule can be found by clicking here.
- The following is the Division III meeting schedule at the convention:
Division III HCC Meeting 5:30 - 7 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 18
Division III General Meeting 8 - 9:45 a.m. Thursday, Dec. 19
- The AVCA is again hosting a recruiting event for college coaches called the AVCA Talent Showcase. This recruiting event is for high school and two-year college players. There are three waves of participants and an expected 280 total student-athletes. Each wave lasts for 90 minutes with a breakdown of 8 - 9:30 a.m., 9:30 - 11 a.m. and 11 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. Coaches planning to attend this event should book their travel for late Sunday afternoon.
III. DIII Championships - Hope College
- Championship is hosted by Hope College.
- If you can't make it to convention, try to support DIII by making it out to the tournament at Hope.
IV. All Region Teams
- All-Region teams voting is complete.
- All-Region Conference calls are taking place today, Tuesday November 12th.
- The All Region Teams will be announced Thursday, November 14th, along with Region Freshman of the Year and Region Coach of the Year.
- 80% of DIII Coaches voted. The AVCA Staff will look into the voting timeline for next year.
V. Scheduling for 2014
- Scheduling is happening too early. All committee members are in agreement.
- Feedback: there needs to be a general consensus not to post tournament until the end of the season. Start the bulk of scheduling after the championship match.
- What is the solution?
- This topic will be added to the agenda for DIII meeting at the AVCA Convention.
- Any input or questions, feel free to email Tammy.
VI. Next committee call Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 11:30 EST