October 8, 2013
Present: Emily Andrews (AVCA), Tammy Swearingen (Chair), Sandy Augstein-Collins, Shelley Bauder, Sheila Gisbrecht, Annie Doman, Jill Jolliff, Kim Kelly, Monica McDonald, Mika Robinson, Becky Schmidt, Bridget Sheehan, Dorothy Webb, Deb Zellers
I. Roll Call Question: What do you do to pick yourself up midseason?
II. AVCA Update:
- The AVCA Convention will be held December 18 - 22 in Seattle. Coaches are encouraged to register by the November 1st early registration discount deadline in order to save money on their registration package. Hotel rooms are currently 60 - 70% full so coaches are encouraged to make their reservations soon. Match times for the NCAA Championships are 4:30 p.m. and 7 p.m. PT for the semifinals on Thursday, December 19 and 6:30 p.m. PT for the finals on Saturday, December 21. More information on hotel rates, registration pricing packages and a preliminary schedule can be found by clicking here.
- The following is the Division III meeting schedule at the convention:
Division I HCC Meeting 5:30 - 7 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 18
Division I General Meeting 8 - 9:45 a.m. Thursday, Dec. 19
- The AVCA is again hosting a recruiting event for college coaches called the AVCA Talent Showcase. This recruiting event is for high school and two-year college players. There are three waves of participants and an expected 270 total student-athletes. Each wave lasts for 90 minutes with a breakdown of 8 - 9:30 a.m., 9:30 - 11 a.m. and 11 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. Coaches planning to attend this event should book their travel for late Sunday afternoon.
- Scholarship applications for the Minority Coaches Workshop at the AVCA Convention are now available by clicking here. These scholarships are funded by a grant from the NCAA and cover the convention registration fee and most travel expenses. Those interested should complete the application by the October 11 deadline.
- Applications for the Coaches4Coaches Scholarship are now available. This scholarship is for aspiring coaches who would be attending their first AVCA Convention. The scholarship covers registration fees and most travel costs. There will be (10) scholarships available this year. The deadline for applications is October 11. For more information and to download the application please click here.
- Bid Materials for hosting preliminary-round competition is now available on the NCAA site. The deadline for submission is 5 p.m. ET on October 30.
III. 2014 Tournament Scheduling (emails)
- Tammy is sending the updated list to the HCC.
- NCAA is moving the deadline for the Libero Jersey rule to November 1st.
IV. Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- Are you doing anything special?
a. Auctioning off signed jerseys.
b. Athletic administrators are shaving their heads if they hit the fundraising goals.
c. Selling pink ribbons for $1 and displaying in their gym.
V. Additional Agenda Items
- Awards nominations and voting for All-Region Teams has been updated:
o Monday, Oct. 28 thru Friday, Nov. 1 - Student-Athlete Nominations Accepted
o Monday, Nov. 4 thru Friday, Nov. 8- Head Coaches Vote for All-Region Teams
o Tuesday, November 12 - Region Conference Calls
o Thursday, November 14 - Region Awards Announced
o Monday, November 18 - AVCA Division III AA/NPOY/COY/ACOY Conference Call
VI. Next committee call Tuesday, November 12, 2013 at 11:30 EST